Monday, February 22, 2010

Pickas


I just found my camera the other night. Turns out it was in my computer bag. I took a picture with my intermediate class today and it was pretty funny getting them to pose. We had to squeeze in pretty close because no one wanted to be front row. The girl in the red and white striped jacket second from left is Navy that I wrote about previously. The girl on the far left, Sokunna, just joined class today as she was brought in by her sister Kagna (pronounced Kanya) who is standing next to me. All of the girls are 21 or older. Kagna works for the government so that is pretty cool. I can't remember how old she is but I think she is mid twenties. The fellas are really funny. They live at the childrens home and take my class on their lunch break from school. Today, every time I walked out of the classroom to get something (which was about three or four times) they locked the door on me. It was funny that it did not get old. It was funny every time. They didn't even keep me out. As soon as I tried the handle, they unlocked it. Pretty benign joke. The one standing next to me is Thom (17) and next to him is Chomreon (15) and the Sochitra (14) on the far left. Thom has missed a few classes because he was playing snooker. He didn't even hide that from me. I asked him where he was and he said "I was playing snooker." Well he hasn't missed since so I can laugh about his audacity.

Funny little anecdote: Today Kagna was trying to ask me about the difference between Australian English and American English. She kept saying U.S. sty and Australian Sty. I had no clue what she was asking me. Turns out she was saying "Style" and was asking if the words are the same when they are pronounced with different accents (styles). This literally took me ten minutes to figure out and then three or four more minutes of pronounciation practice to say the word style.

3 comments:

  1. The girls look SO young! that's a great picture, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found your camera. You're looking good man. Have you dropped a few pounds?

    Are you a head taller than all of the natives? Or do the guys hit a growth spurt in late adolescence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, no growth spurt. I have dropped a few pounds. That's about the average height.

    ReplyDelete