Sunday, March 7, 2010

Shining

A name on any other rose...

I was walking down the street in downtown Siem Reap yesterday when all of a sudden, I heard someone calling my name...

"Steve!... Steve!"

Those of you who know me know that it is not a normal day when I am called by Steve. People are usually joking when they call me that. I don't actually mind at all what people call me as long as I know it is me that the name refers to, but I have always thought that Steve is an odd sounding name. It reminds me of a fifty year old man with a mustache. I plan on being that man someday so I will probably end up being called Steve. Anyway what's in a name right? Except, there are only about forty people in Siem Reap with Khmer accents that know my name so it was surprising to hear downtown.

I look over and it's official... I do not know the guy who is calling out my name at all. I have never seen him in my life. He is a tuk tuk driver posted on the corner of an intersection looking for clients. I hold off judgment until I get closer but then it is certain that I do not remember this person.

"You are Steve right?"

"Uhh... Yea I'm Stephen"

"Yea, Steve. Maybe you don't remember me?"

"I don't think I do remember you man"

"Yea I drive you around three days and we went to temples"

"Man I have not gone to the temples yet"

Now it was this guy's turn to look confused. We both looked at each other for about five seconds.

"Yea... Steve, you help me make email so I can check email.

I don't take drugs so there is no way that I have blocked out three days of tuk tukking and helping a driver set up email.

"Steve you came here last year and I drove you and we went to temples. You are from England."

"Holy smokes... I see what's going on. This is the first time I have ever been in Siem Reap man. I think you met someone else last year with the same name as me. I am from America."

"Oh wow. You look just like him. You have same beard same face and he was also fat."

(Overlooking the fat comment)"Yea that is amazing that you met someone that looks like me and has the same name. Man I was really worried as to why you knew my name."

"Yea I drove him around and helped him find hotel. He wanted one with pool so he could swim because he so fat." Okay, I get it. Still I'm not yet sure if they are aware of the implication of that statement as I hear it all the time.

"Yea, exercise is good."

"Do you want to ride? I can take you to temple."

"Not today man. I'm just walkin about"

"Maybe tomorrow then, I'm here everyday and everyone knows me. Just ask for Shining, like the sun is shining."

"Will do, Shining. Hey can I get a picture?"


Sure enough, I saw him today and will probably see him more and more. We talked for about forty-five minutes today about various things and I like him. I don't want to ask how to spell his name because I like the thought that it is spelled Shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment